SALINAS VALLEY — Heavy rain from a winter storm continues to pummel South Monterey County, forcing local roadways to close due to flooding and mudslides.
“The overnight storms have impacted many local roadways and continue to do so for the next few days,” said Maia Carroll, the county’s communications coordinator, on Thursday. “South Monterey County is particularly impacted.”
As of noon Thursday, local road closures include the following:
- Alisal Road, from Salinas city limits to Zabala Road — Flooding
- Alisal Road, from Salinas city limits to Hartnell Road — Flooding
- Camphora Road, at Camphora and McCoy roads — Flooding
- Chualar Road, between Grant Street and Old Stage Road — Flooding
- Chualar Road, at Old Stage Road and Lincoln Street — Flooding
- Davis Road, between Hitchcock and Reservation roads — Flooding
- Hartnell Road, at Highway 101 and Old Stage Road — Flooding
- Metz Road, from King City city limits to Topo Ranch — Flooding
- Metz Road, at Spreckels Road — Flooding
- Milpitas Road, about 1.5 miles in — Boulder blocking roadway
- Nacimiento-Fergusson Road, off of Highway 1 / Big Sur — Debris on roadway
- Nacimiento-Fergusson Road, Highway 1 to Fort Hunter Liggett / Mission Road — Fire
- Old Stage Road, at Esperanza Road — Flooding
- Pine Canyon Road, at Mesa Road — Rock and mudslide
- River Road, between Camphora and Foothill roads — Mudslide
- River Road, from Chualar River to Limekiln roads — Debris on roadway
- River Road, from Parker to Chualar River roads — Flooding
- Tassajara Road, at Los Padres National Forest — Hazardous conditions
“If you encounter water in a roadway, please use extreme caution,” Carroll said. “Turn around, don’t drown.”
In addition, the temporary evacuation point at Chualar Union Elementary School has been closed due to localized flooding Thursday. Evacuees who need assistance can go to the temporary evacuation point in Salinas at Toro Park School, 22500 Portola Drive.
Current traffic and road conditions can be found online at the Monterey County Office of Emergency Services website.